Root Veggies and Greens over Spiced Lentils
Adapted from EatingWell.
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 6 other root vegetables (carrots, radish bunches, peeled beets, butternut squash, etc.)
- extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice
- kosher salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, ground coriander, cumin, and allspice
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup green lentils
- 2 cups chopped kale or beet greens
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
Preheat oven to 425°. Cut onion, sweet potato, and other root vegetables into bite sized cubes or wedges. Toss with 3 tbsp oil, 1½ tbsp lime juice, herbs, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until fork-tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Combine water, lentils, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp coriander, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp allspice, and ¼ tsp salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and continue simmering until the liquid reduces slightly, about 5 minutes more. Drain. Stir in 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tsp oil.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens and cook until just wilted. Add roasted root vegetables, 1 tsp coriander, ⅛ tsp pepper and a pinch of salt, and stir together, 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve the vegetables over the lentils, topped with a spoon or two of yogurt.