Adapted from Pierre Franey.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey meat
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Fritos corn chips
- raw kale, spinach, or cabbage
Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot and add the turkey meat. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, chopping down and stirring with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon to break up any lumps.
Add the onions, garlic, sweet pepper, celery, jalapeño pepper, oregano, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin. Stir to blend well. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Add the drained beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer.
Serve in bowls with cheddar cheese, Fritos, and greens.